Thursday, May 06, 2010

The amazing (somewhat) healthy cookie

A few years ago I was on a quest to make my favorite chocolate chip cookie healthy(er). I think I might have reached perfection today. It's that legendary Neiman's chocolate chip cookie recipe...my way.

1 c butter softened
1 1/4 c brown sugar
2 t vanilla
1 egg
2 egg whites
2 1/2 c whole oats
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 t baking soda
1.5 oz extra dark chocolate, grated
12 oz (1 bag) semi-sweet, or bittersweet chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, egg and whites. Mix in dry ingredients. Fold in grated chocolate and chocolate chips. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.

Now, it is still a decadent cookie. I'm going to try again with half applesauce/half butter but I didn't have the applesauce on hand today. It's mostly whole grains...with just a little all-purpose flour to keep it from getting so tough. Egg whites instead of a whole egg to cut back on the cholesterol. And all that dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.

No comments: