Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shrimp po'boys

So I had the idea of making po'boys for the Super Bowl. I contacted my friend Jeanne whose family is from New Orleans and asked her opinion on the perfect po'boy. She recounted her favorite from Domilises in New Orleans, a place I visited with her once, and remembered fondly myself. So I tried to recreate that shrimp po'boy, but I was lacking a bit in probably the most important part. Then yesterday this recipe for a Louisiana remoulade shows up in the Denver Post. Granted, it might not be as good as Domilises' but I sure wish I had the recipe three weeks ago. So now, here is my recipe for the (almost) perfect po'boy.

really good French bread
mayo
pickles
shredded iceberg lettuce
fried shrimp (see below)
remoulade sauce (see below)

To fry the shrimp:
Peel, devein and detail raw shrimp (you can use whatever size, but for the sandwich a small or medium shimp is probably better). Heat oil in a large cast-iron pot to 350. Toss the shrimp in a mixture of flower, corn meal and cajun seasoning (such as Tony Chacheres). Fry shimp in hot oil for a couple of minutes until brown and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Remoulade:
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1/4 cup ketchup
Freshly ground pepper
3 cups canola oil
1/2 cup pickle relish
1/4 cup capers chopped
1/4 cup horseradish
Few shots hot sauce
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 shallots, minced

In the bowl of a food processor, blend the vinegar, salt, egg yolks, paprika, ketchup and pepper. In a steady stream with the motor running, emulsify in the canola oil. Fold in the pickle relish, capers, horseradish, hot sauce , parsley and shallots. Adjust seasoning and refrigerate until ready to use.

No comments: