Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Easy King Cake

For the Super Bowl, I decided we needed good New Orleans food. So I made po'boys and a king cake. I looked for different King Cake recipes and they all involved yeast breads and lots of waiting for bread to rise, etc. I don't like those kind of recipes. So I found this one on the Times-Picayune website...nola.com. Their food section will make your mouth water in seconds. I made two cakes--one for the Colts and one for the Saints.

1 (16-ounce) can refrigerator biscuits (not the layered kind)
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
King cake baby or bean (I used a plastic jewel)
A little canned cream cheese frosting
Yellow, purple and green sprinkles or sugar (I used blue & white for the Colts and yellow and black for the Saints)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil to make cleanup easier. Open the biscuits and lay them flat on the foil. Press them into a large circle (about 12 inches) or giant rectangle.

Paint the dough with butter, then mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle evenly over dough. Lay babies somewhere on the dough.

Roll the dough up into a cylinder and pinch as tightly as possible to seal. Shape the cylinder into a round and join the ends. Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool slightly, then spoon icing (if using) over top and let it fall down sides. Decorate top with sprinkles or sugar.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

No comments: