Thursday, January 14, 2010

Galette des rois

So really, a New Orleans style King Cake is better, but it requires a bakery or some yeast, so I made a French style Kings cake for Epiphany. It really wasn't much to write about, but it was pretty much the way I remember from France. I got the recipe off the internet. I only had one puff pastry sheet, so I rolled it out, cut it in half and baked it in a small rectangular dish. I only used half the frangipane filling. And we didn't have a toy baby, so the boys helped pick a small trinket to be the toy hidden in the cake.

1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry sheets, thawed
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup powderd almonds (I just ground them up blanched almonds in my food processor)
2 eggs
1/4 cup flour

Make the "frangipane" or almond paste - Cream the butter and sugar together. Mix in the almond flour. Add the eggs one at a time, to gradually incorporate them. Fold the flour into the mixture.

Place 1 sheet of pastry into a 9" tart pan.

Spread the frangipane mixture over the top.

Place the remaining pastry on top.

Trim the edges and seal. Make a couple of vents in the top.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden.

Allow to cool.

No comments: