Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The kitchen top 10

My former neighbor had a list on her blog of the top 10 things she needs in her kitchen...she was inspired by a segment she saw on the Today Show (Abby, email me at chezmathews@gmail.com and I'll send you the link to my other blog). You would think with my addiction to the Today Show that I would have seen it, but now that we get the paper I don't watch as faithfully, but I was laughing as I got to the end of the list because nearly everything on her list would make mine. So here's mine, not to plagiarize Abby's, but here goes.

1. KitchenAid Stand Mixer. I don't use it nearly as much as I probably could, but the times I do use it, I can't imagine not having it. I hate beating cream and eggs until they make peaks, that wears me out. I let the mixer do that. I have the Artisan, 5 qt, and what I like about it is that it has a protective splatter guard for the bowl. And what's fun is they come in nearly every color imaginable, so they look great in the kitchen. It was a Christmas present a few years ago and well worth it.

2. Cuisinart Food Processor. For that same Christmas I got this. And it is just as wonderful. It beats my blender anyday. I use it to make salsas, guacamole, soups, desserts, pastries. And it also makes matchstick fries...no need for one of those pesky mandolines.

3. Microplane Grater/Zester. I have the one that is actually a zester. I use this all the time. I have a bigger grater for cheese (but I'm lazy and almost always buy pre-grated cheese). I use this one for zesting oranges, lemons and limes and most-importantly for grating chocolate for those delicious Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookies.

4. OXO tongs (seriously, Abby, your list is all my favorite things!). I use mine for cooking--they're perfect for flipping meat. And they're great for salad tongs. They're so easy to use and they're heat-resistant. I should probably get a second pair.

5. Silicone Spatula. I use these for everything. I think I have 3. I stir things on the stove with them, I use them to scrape out batter bowls, I use them to get the rest of the stuff out of cans. They're wonderful.

6. Silcone basting brush. While we're on silicone...here's one of my own. I love these things. I no longer use regular basting brushes. They're so hard to clean. These silicone ones work just as well, can go in the dishwasher, can baste while your grilling and not get too hot. And because they clean so well, you can use the same one for marinades and to brush a glaze onto a pastry. Can you believe that?

7. Spreader. Abby says she has a Cutco spreader. I don't know about that one, but I got mine at a Pampered Chef party and use it whenever I'm spreading icing or custards. I have a bigger one now too that is more helpful for those bigger situations. Trust me, you won't ever use a knife again to spread.

8. A French (or Dutch) Oven. Sure, a stockpot will do in most cases, but for really tender meats and great pot roasts and stews, the cast iron pot gives the best flavor. Now, I'm missing winter dishes again.

9. IKEA Wire Whisk. I've never used a wire whisk that I liked as much ast this one. I got it when in France and I made sure it made it in the suitcase home. There's something about the flexibility in this whisk that makes it so easy to beat/mix anything. I used it to make that quiche last night.

10. And finally. A good knife. Some of my knives are good, and some aren't. And those that are make cooking so much more enjoyable.

So there's my 10. Abby listed an OXO swivel peeler. I have one of those and switched back to your typical potato peeler...which I use for so much more than potatoes (it makes great slices of cheese for a salad or shreds of chocolate for a garnish). She also mentioned parchment paper (over Silpat), and I say, "Amen" to that! And she mentioned a good butcher block cutting board--which I have, but find myself using my dishwasher-safe plastic boards the most. And I must mention, that if I were a good Southerner, I would have to list my cast-iron skillet, but I have not bought and seasoned one for myself...I'm a Texan, remember, but I'm waiting patiently for a wonderfully seasoned one from Michael's mom. And I'm sure at that point, it will make the list.

5 comments:

Kimber-Leigh said...

hmmm...great idea! i'll have to post mine soon!

Anne Clark said...

I love your list. Most things make a great wish list for me! It also gave me some Christmas gift ideas. Thanks!

My two cents: I couldn't live without my 10" Wusthof chef knife. I look forward to chopping rather than dreading it.

Mosshouse said...

I must have and use at least once an hour my Cutco kitchen scissors. They were a wedding gift, one I'm very happy to have received!

Kimber-Leigh said...

okay...my list is posted now!

sarah corbin said...

You know what else those silicone spatulas are good for? Spanking -- just ask my mom.