Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Key lime pie


No, I haven't hunted down real key limes to make this pie. Although Key limes are the same thing as Mexican limes (the ones used in Margaritas!) and the limes I bought are from Mexico, I think they're actually "Persian limes" grown in Mexico. Nonetheless, I never knew Key lime pie was so simple to make. I made it for Easter lunch and wowed my Key-lime-pie-loving-Dad, so I made it again for our church community group tonight.

For crust:
1 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c butter, melted
3 T sugar
1/4 c sweetened, flaked coconut (if desired)

For filling:
4 egg yolks
1/2 c Key lime juice
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
4 t lime zest

For topping:
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1 1/2 T sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t rum

Stir together crust ingredients. Press onto bottom and sides of pie plate. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.

Whisk egg yolks, until blended. Whisk in lime juice. Add milk and whisk until blended. Stir in zest. Pour into prepared crust.

Bake at 350 12-15 minutes until set. Cool completely. Cover and chill 8 hours.

Beat cream until foamy. Add sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Fold in vanilla and rum. Spoon on top of pie.

Serves 8.

No comments: