Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Donuts


I found this recipe in some magazine, but now I don't remember which one. I think it was Southern Living. I adapted it a bit today for a festive treat.

1 pkg active dry yeast
3 T sugar (divided)
1/2 c warm water (105-115 degrees)
3 1/2 c flour
1/2 c warm milk (105-115)
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
1/4 t salt
3 T butter, cut up and softened
cooking oil (I used corn oil)
1/3 c sugar
3/4 c Nutella or desired filling (if filling donuts)

Stir together yeast, 1 T sugar, and water until yeast dissolved. Stand 10 minutes.

In food processor, combine flour, milk, egg, yolk, salt, yeast mixture and 2 T sugar. Process until combined. Add butter and process until combined (dough will be tacky).

Place dough in lightly greased bowl. Cover and refridgerate overnight (8-12 hours).

On well-floured surface, roll to 1/2 inches thick. Using 2 1/2 in round cutter (or desired shape--I used a heart cutter), cut dough. Place cut-outs on tray dusted with flour (I cut holes out of each heart). Let rise 30 more minutes.

Heat 2 inches of oil to 365 degrees. In bowl, place 1/3 c sugar (I used red sugar). Put Nutella (or filling) in a pastry bag (if desired).

Fry the donuts in batches about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. While warm, coat in sugar (I found it worked better to skip the paper towels and put them directly into the bowl of sugar). If desired, poke a hole into 2 sides of donute and pipe Nutella into both sides.

No comments: