Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 7: Chicken Noodle Soup

There is no way that I'll be only making new recipes over the next year, so I'm going to have to repost some of my favorites. So today I am making Chicken Noodle Soup. Jeb is still sick and it just seems right to make chicken noodle soup even if he is too picky to eat a bite/sip. But usually I don't use homemade chicken stock, I'm a little lazy, but today I am because I don't have store-bought stock and I'm housebound due to my little patient. So I'm adapting Ina's recipe for chicken stock to what I have on hand.

All the yummy goodness before the chicken and water is added for the stock.

1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 stalks celery and leaves, cut in thirds
lots of baby carrots (I know regular carrots would be cheaper, but again, don't have those)--I'm getting rid of the end of the bag with all the odd-shaped carrots that my kids won't eat
3 whole cloves garlic
10 sprigs fresh parsley, from my garden
1 T dried thyme
1 T salt
1/2 T freshly ground pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts...normally I'd like something with a bone, but there's not any in my freezer
3-4 quarts of water

Put in all in the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  Remove the chicken and continue simmering for up to 3 hours.  Drain the stock and it is ready for your soup.

No comments: