Friday, March 09, 2012

Chili today...

Last night I loosely combined two chili recipes. I took what I liked and left what I didn't and used what I had. I think it was better than either recipe. But I'm not biased.

3-4 slices of bacon, diced (I used pepper bacon)
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeƱo, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground chuck
1/4 c tequila
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
1 small can diced green chiles
1 T chili powder
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 T cocoa
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove with slotted spoon. Cook onion and peppers in bacon grease until onions are translucent and peppers are tender. Add garlic and cook for a minute more. Remove to plate with bacon. Brown the beef in the bacon grease. Drain the fat from the pan. Add everything back to the pot. Turn the heat up to high and add the tequila. Cook for a few minutes until the tequila is cooked down. Add the remaining ingredients including about half of one of the 14.5 oz cans with water. Bring to a boil.
Then simmer for an hour covered.

Serve with chips, crackers or cornbread. Garnish with sour cream, scallions, or cheddar cheese.

Serves 6.

No comments: