Monday, January 18, 2010

Salade lyonnaise

This is the traditional salad of Lyon, France (where we lived for 2 years). If you go into a local bistro or bouchon, this is the "house salad." It's a bit weird to Americans, but it is delicious. I didn't get a picture...I think I was so focused on getting it to the table while it was still warm.

I've adapted my recipe from one I got when I went to a cooking class with Heather and Katie in Saint Louis.

1 large head of frisee or escarole (often I can't find this type of lettuce and I use a red-leaf lettuce)
6 slices of bacon, diced
vinaigrette
croutons
4 poached eggs

Vinaigrette
2 T minced shallots
2 T red-wine vinegar
4 T extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Croutons
4-8 slices of bread, cubed
olive oil
salt and pepper

Toss the bread cubes with a bit of olive oil and seasonings. Bake at 350 10-12 minutes, tossing once.

Poached eggs
Bring a large pan to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Crack an egg in a small bowl and gently slide the egg into the simmering water. Add the others, being careful they do not touch. Cook 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon.

Cook the bacon. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Assemble the salad with the frisee, bacon, croutons and the poached egg on top. Sprinkle with the vinaigrette. Serve immediately while the egg is still warm.

Serves 4.

No comments: