Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chocolate-chip scones

I've never been much of a scone person. I think it is my passion for all things French that drives me away from English things. But a few weeks ago I was supposed to bring snacks to our Bible study, and I actually find it easier to make something than to drag all three boys to the grocery store to pick something up. So I found a recipe very similar to the one below in Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa at Home. I had to adapt mine for what I had on hand. And they were great. I was very pleased because those in our Bible Study that had lived in Ireland enjoyed them.

Ina's tip is to make sure that the butter remains in little pieces so that when they bake the butter creates stem and makes the scones light and flaky.

4 c flour
1/4 sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
2 T baking powder
2 t salt
3 sticks cold unsalted butter, diced
4 eggs, beaten (I only had 3 the first time--and it turned out fine)
1 c milk
1 1/2 c chocolate chips...or more if you like your scones extra chocolately
1 egg beaten with 2 T water for egg wash
1 c powdered sugar
2 T milk

Preheat oven to 400. Line baking sheet with parchment.

In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and mix at lowest speed until butter is the size of peas. Combine the eggs and milk withe the mixer on low, slowly add to the flour mixture. Mix until blended. Add the chocolate chips and stir into the dough.

Place dough on floured surface and form into a ball. Roll to 1-inch thick. Cut 3-inch circles of dough and place on baking sheet.

Brush the tops fo the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool 15 minutes. Stir togeter the powdered sugar and milk and drizzle over the tops of the scones.

Makes about 2 dozen.

1 comment:

Ella said...

hilary, your creativity impresses me! i would have never thought to make scones for bible study...brownies or muffins is my limit. you are such the gourmet chef!! can you come teach me your skills???