Friday, December 08, 2006

A recipe to get things going

I'm in a supper swap with two neighbors. We each have a day of the week and cook for the other families on our day. Last night I made gumbo for everyone. It was a perfect night for a hot soup...the temperature never broke 20 degrees yesterday. I got this recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks Heart & Soul: Stirring Recipes from Memphis. I adapted it because I was cheap and lazy, but next time I make it, I think I'll add shrimp.

The original recipe was called "Sausage and Duck Gumbo" but mine was just "Sausage Gumbo"

2 lbs smoked sausage, chopped into bite size pieces
1/3 c cooking oil
2/3 c flour
1 1/2 c chopped onion
1 1/2 c chopped celery
1 1/2 c chopped green pepper
1 16 oz package frozen cut okra, thawed
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 t pepper
1/2 t dried thyme
6 c chicken broth
ground red pepper, to taste
hot pepper sauce, to taste
hot cooked rice, if desired

Cook sausage in a skillet until lightly browned on all sides, set aside.

For roux, heat oil over med heat ina stockpot. Stir in flour. Cook and stir about 15 min or until roux is dark reddish brown. Slowly stir in onion, celery, green pepper, okra, Worcestershire, pepper and thyme. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.

Add broth and sausage. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 3 hours. Season to taste and serve over rice, if desired. Serves 8-10.

No comments: